Landscape Architecture graduate student Karthikeyan Bharath Kumar is part of a team, named Reach Out Water Solutions, that won an award from the Acara Institute for a project they developed to provide clean water to the slums of Mumbai. The team’s Slum Water Program combines source water storage with UV water treatment and a novel distribution system to supply 50 liters of clean, low-cost water to community participants and 10 liters of potable water to pay-per-use customers at a reasonable rate.
The Reach Out Water Solutions team will travel to India on May 26, 2009 for two weeks.
- UMNews media release announcing Acara Institute award
- KSTP-TV story: “‘U’ students to bring clean water plan to India“
- Eureakalert picks up UMNews media release
- WCCO-TV story: “U of M Grads To Bring Clean Water To Mumbai, India“
- WCCO-TV story: “U of M Grads To Bring Clean Water To Mumbai, India” (video)